Welcome to the McNair Scholars Program at SNU! We prepare SNU undergraduates for doctoral studies through involvement in research and scholarly activities. Participants must be first-generation students meeting certain income criteria and/or students from groups underrepresented in graduate studies. The McNair offices are located in the Center for Student Success, Library, first floor.
The McNair Scholars Program supports the mission of SNU of creating Christ-like scholars by providing preparation for doctoral studies, access to research and scholarly activities, support for the graduate school admissions process, and academic advising.
Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program Application Information
The Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program is available to undergraduate students who meet the following criteria.
1. Answer yes to at least one of the following questions. Are you:
- Receiving financial aid AND a first-generation college student? OR
- A member of one of the following groups: Native American, African American, Latino/Hispanic American, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
AND meet all of the following criteria:
2. A full-time student of Southern Nazarene University who has maintained a minimum of 3.0 combined cumulative grade point average. (GPAs of less than 3.0 may be considered as space allows.)
3. A student who will have completed at least 56 hours when accepted into the program.
4. A student with a serious desire to pursue graduate study leading to a doctoral degree.
5. Either a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States of America.
6. Able to commit focused time to an intensive research project.
7. Committed to success and excellence.
If you feel that you meet the qualifications above, you may begin the application process. If you have any questions please call the McNair Scholars office at (405) 789-6400 ext. 6540.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- First-generation and income-eligible student OR a member of an underrepresented group:
African American, Hispanic, Native American or Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0*
- Must express a desire to attain a Ph.D
* GPAs of less than 3.0 may be considered under extraordinary circumstances as space allows
To apply, complete the McNair Scholars Program Online Application tabbed below.
For additional questions, please contact the McNair Office located in the Center for Student Success or call at (405) 789-6400, ext. 6540 or e-mail at email@example.com.
- Online Application (click here)
- Personal Statement Essay
Submit an essay expressing why you want to pursue a graduate degree