School of Music
Making music that counts.
Studying privately, playing in ensembles, singing music of faith, the SNU School of Music provides musical opportunities for all students who wish to make music a vital part of their college experience. SNU’s School of Music is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music and offers programs of excellence immersed in an atmosphere of service. Come to SNU, study music in a Christian community, learn, grow, travel, and excel. Be a part of our community!
Music Programs & Courses
When you major in Music at SNU expect a course plan that fits your future. Designed to give you a general background in music, this degree is paired with a minor of your choice. Personalized attention from professors and individual instruction opportunities make your degree in Music exactly that. Yours. You will learn and grow through close collaboration with respected professors. As a student, you will perform and study with both faculty and other students. Nearly one-third of the SNU student body is involved in music. Classes. Private lessons. Sound of the Storm Marching Band. Symphonic Band. Guitar Ensembles. U Singers. Jazz Band. Piano. Organ.
A Bachelor of Science in Music is a degree that includes a Major in Music with an emphasis in Commercial Music Production or Music Performance. A Music Performance Emphasis offers a choice of Concentration between Vocal, Instrumental, or Keyboard Performance.
- Worship Arts Emphasis
- Commercial Music Production
- Performance Emphasis – Vocal Concentration
- Performance Emphasis – Keyboard Concentration
- Performance Emphasis – Instrumental Concentration
- Music Education – Instrumental Concentration
- Music Education – Vocal Concentration
In addition to the accreditation of Southern Nazarene University by the Higher Learning Commission, the SNU School of Music is accredited by the
National Association of Schools of Music
11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21, Reston, VA 20190-5248
Only prospective students who are prepared and meet the following guidelines may audition.
Casual business attire is deemed appropriate for a scholarship audition.
- Sing 2 songs of contrasting style from memory as follows:
- Vocal contest literature, such as art songs, opera arias; oratorio arias, -OR
- Songs from a musical, -OR-
- Christian contemporary
- Bring an accompaniment or an accompanist. A professional accompanist is provided upon request.
- Perform two pieces of contrasting styles from the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, or Contemporary eras.
- You may substitute a hymn arrangement for one of your two pieces.
- At least one piece must be performed from memory.
WINDS AND PERCUSSION
(Listed in order of preference)
- Perform a solo piece that was prepared for a high school district, regional or state contest, -OR-
- Perform an etude that was prepared for a high school honor group audition, -OR-
- Perform a sacred piece that was prepared for a church setting
- Audition material does not have to be memorized or accompanied
- A professional accompanist is provided upon request
You don’t have to be a music major to join an ensemble through the SNU School of Music. No matter what your major, joining an ensemble gives you an opportunity to use your gifts and a chance to be a part of a group of friends. Hundreds of students participate in SNU ensembles each year, music majors and non-music majors alike.
Highly Qualified Professors
Whether your goal is to become a music teacher, choral director, music business professional, or worship arts pastor, SNU can help you achieve your dream. The SNU community is ready to encourage, instruct, and guide you to reach your God-given potential.
I encourage you to explore the links below and discover what SNU has to offer you. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or one of the other faculty members. I can be reached by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 405-717-6245.
May God guide your decision as you plan the next chapter of your educational journey.
Bryan Powell, Ph.D.
Chair, SNU School of Music
SNU offers you the opportunity to study with credentialed faculty as you journey toward graduation, another step closer to reaching your goals. These scholars with a Christian worldview will mentor and guide you along the way. SNU’s smaller size allows students to interact with faculty — not only in the classroom, but also through impactful mentoring, personal advising, and meaningful research. Come and be known; come and belong.
Scholarships for all students are awarded on academics first. For those interested in music, additional scholarships are based on audition (in-person or video) as well as specific needs of the department & individual student need.
Sound of the Storm Marching Band
The Sound of the Storm Marching Band is a great way to meet new friends from all over campus. The SNU Sound of the Storm Marching Band has toured the region as the ambassadors of the University since 2016. You do not need to be a music major to participate in marching band. The band performs at all home games and at local and regional events. Our members, including our freshmen, were often leaders in their high school programs. Because of this, our rehearsals are fast-paced, productive, and fun!
Want to know more? Click here for all the details